A Wondering Widow Post
It’s 20 years from now, and amazing things are about to happen in your life. I wish I could spare you the heartbreak and pain ahead, but can truthfully say it will forge you into a better you. And while it won’t feel like it, you will survive. Here are some words of wisdom I wish you could hear:
1. Your goal to retire at 45 WILL happen, but you will pay an unbelievably horrible price to achieve it. Don’t let that stop you from doing it.
2. Forever isn’t linear, it’s now. Forever is in every tiny moment. Don’t waste a single one. Stop working so damned much and invest those tiny moments in those you love and those that love you. Memories will always be worth more than things (trust me, at this exact moment you are selling everything you own). Take that trip. Take the class. Take a chance on love. Take the risk of living outside the plan, and outside what is expected of you. Sometimes happiness lies on the other side of playing it safe.
3. You have no control over anything but your attitude. I know your inner control freak won’t believe me until the universe decides it’s a lesson you WILL learn, and it will be in the hardest way possible. It’s okay. It will be okay.
4. You are f@#$%^g awesome. I know you will spend years feeling insecure and not enough. You will hide those fears and lack of confidence in a hard shell that does you no favors. Don’t be afraid. Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you could possibly know.
5. It’s taken me our whole life for me to learn to love me. Love you for you, and don’t wait so damned long to do it.
Future You, aka The Wandering Widow
Leave a Reply