A Grief Recovery Project Post
I visit with a lot of W’s and often hear us (yeah, I’ve done it too) say things like I can’t do it or I can’t do this without him. One of the things that helped me get out of that thought spiral was to keep a list of all the FIRSTS I’ve done on my own. It started out as FUN FIRSTS but evolved into everything I’ve done for the first time, that I wouldn’t have done if Dan were still here. I kept this list in the back of my journal, so it was handy, but if you need a visual reminder put it on the bathroom mirror.
For those of you who are still struggling to see yourself as a survivor, here is a sample list that might help you look in the mirror and see the badass warrior queen you are. (This list is representative of some amazing W’s in my life, and not my personal list).
- You sold /remodeled your house.
- You bought a house.
- You started a new career.
- You went back to work.
- You fixed your toilet all by yourself.
- You hired an attorney to fight for you.
- You kept breathing even when you didn’t think you could.
- You put on a family wedding.
- You took care of your kids despite your grief, and THEY ARE OKAY!
- You went on a date.
- You moved to a new town.
- You went on an adventure/trip/whatever.
- You cut people from your life who were dragging you down.
- You made new friends.
- You bought a car.
- You made investment decisions.
- You finally remembered what day trash pick up is.
- You took up a new hobby.
- You learned how to <<fill in the blank>>. I took apart and fixed my steam vac all by myself thanks to YouTube. Badass, right?!?!
- You allowed yourself to remember what it is to feel happiness and joy.
Whether you type your list or write it in hot pink glitter lipstick, never forget how amazing you are, how much you’ve done, and how far you’ve come. None of us chose to walk this path alone, but we are a lot stronger than we give ourselves credit for, and that includes you.
And for what it’s worth, I’m proud of you.
The Wandering Widow
Leave a Reply